- 9th Kyu to 3rd Kyu (inclusive), a minimum of three months between each grading is required.
- 3rd Kyu to 1st Kyu (inclusive), a minimum of six months between each grading is required.
Although the minimum period between gradings is laid down here, it is up to the examiners discretion as to the grade awarded to the student being assessed. The examiner may award a 2 or 3 grades jump depending on how the student performs and their required knowledge of the syllabus to the set standard. The examiner may also drop a student’s grade if they think that the student’s standard does not warrant the grade they hold at that time.
- 1st Kyu to 1st Dan, a minimum period of 9 months.
- 1st Dan to 2nd Dan, a minimum period of 2 years.
- 2nd Dan to 3rd Dan, a minimum period of 3 years
- 3rd Dan to 4th Dan, a minimum period of 4 years
- 4th Dan to 5th Dan, a minimum period of 5 years
- And so on and so forth up to 10th Dan
Assistant Instructor: Minimum Age 18 years, Minimum Grade 1st Kyu.
- Must have full up-to-date NGB licence, First-Aid certificate issued by recognised organisation (Red Cross, St. Johns Ambulance), agree to full criminal record search.
- Assistant Instructors may NOT teach classes with out the supervision of a qualified fully licensed instructor, nor can they grade students or sit on a grading panel.
Instructors: Minimum Age 21 years, Minimum Grade 1st Dan.
- Must have full up-to-date NGB licence, First-Aid certificate issued by recognised organisation, agree to full criminal record search and must have served a minimum of 1 year as Assistant Instructor, being sponsored by that Instructor for their Instructors Licence.
- A holder of a Full Instructors Licence may sit on a Grading Panel with an Authorised Examiner, but may not grade students themselves.
- Grading Examiners. Minimum Age 25 years. Minimum Grade 3rd Dan.
- Must hold full Instructors Licence and fulfil the criteria required for that position and grade.